A meetup for book worms in Saskatoon who want to read, meet new people, and socialize all at once.
This club is open to anyone to join and is growing! Once you’ve attended two or more meetings you can enter your number one book in the book draw. This method provides a dynamic and vibrant book title list and gets our book worms out of their reading comfort zones. We select titles that are accessible at both bookstores and the public library.
We read a new book every month and meet to chat about it. Discuss your book while gaining a new perspective from other lit lovers in the group.
DO SASK BOOK CLUB
You’ll start the night with a short meet and greet after a quick introduction from Do Sask. Book club begins after you’ve had a chance to connect with at least one other book worm.
Each book discussion last about one hour. The conversation is facilitated to focus the talk on book-related topics*. At the end of the discussion, we rate the title of the book by counting down from three and holding up our fingers with a rating between one (poor) and five (excellent). You are welcome to attend if you haven’t finished the book, but there will be spoilers.
Drinks and nibbles are available at an additional cost.
*Sometimes we’ve had difficult conversations on racism, violence, abuse, infertility, and more. The views, thoughts, and opinions expressed belong solely to the individual, and not necessarily to Do Sask.
Schedule: Introduction, connection moment, and book title discussion in under 2 hours. View events calendar.
Event Location: The Travel Alcove in the back of McNally Robinson Booksellers
Event Price: Free
At the end of every event, attendees are invited to give feedback on their experience. Your opinion is an essential part of what helps the Do Sask community become better each and every time.
Here’s what people like the most about Do Sask Book Club…
- opportunity to read lots of new books I haven’t chosen
- the members are diverse and inclusive
- openness in discussions
- hearing everyone’s insights and opinions
- meeting new people
- an evening out socializing
Average event rating of 4.8 out of 5
I would love to hear your comment along with your honest rating. If you have an unacceptable experience, please contact me.
ABOUT BOOK CLUB
The book club began in a coffee shop one winter evening in 2018. A small group of three regular members continued to meet at local spots around Saskatoon every month until finding a regular home at McNally Robinson Booksellers later that year. In two years, we have grown to thirteen regular members. Our hope is that we expand to more people and start a large enough group to sustain for years to come.
SELECTED BOOK TITLES
- January – Becoming by Michelle Obama
- February – Educated: A Memoir by Tara Westover
- March – Board Game Night at King Me Boardgamery Cafe
- April – The Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
- May – The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeny
- June – Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
- August – The hate u give by Angie Thomas
- September – The Lost Girls of Paris by Pam Jenoff
- October – Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor
- November – The Life She Was Given by Ellen Marie Wiseman
- December – Where I Lost Her by T. Greenwood
- January – Sleeping Beauties Stephen and Owen King
- February – 1984 George Orwell
- March – Ready Player One Earnest Kline
- April – Sapiens Yuval Noah Harari
- May – Artemis Andy Weir
- June – Merry Wives of Windsor Shakespeare
- August – Let the Great World Spin Colum McCann
- September – Grunt Mary Roach
- October – The Girl Who Never Read Noam Chomsky
- November – Text Me When You Get Home Kayleen Schafer
- December – Factfulness Hans Rosling
Members are eligible for a discount on a Reader Reward Card membership as Do Sask is considered a McNally Robinson Booksellers Partner in Culture.