Last night, over 30 people came out to support the YWCA Saskatoon for Do Sask’s 2nd Annual Pop-Up Clothing Swap Party, in partnership with NatureCity Festival.
The 2nd Annual Pop-Up Clothing Swap Party by the numbers:
380 items donated
$200+ cash donations
3 local style gurus
2 folk musicians
1 happy organizer (me)
& a truck full of bags delivered to the YWCA Opportunity Shop
This 100% volunteer-run event is organized in support of the YWCA Turning Points Program.
“YWCA Saskatoon’s Turning Points is a transitional housing program offering a safe, affordable, supportive environment for 14 women who are ready and willing to change their lives for up to one year. Women in this program have the opportunity to create a stable foundation from which to build upon in order to live independently. This program was developed in response to a need for longer-term supports for some of the clients accessing the crisis shelter.”
✔ Reduce waste and love Mother Earth harder.
✔ Support charity twice through ticket proceeds and leftover clothing.
✔ Save money, freshen up your wardrobe for spring, and learn fashion life hacks from local style pros.
This is how the event went:
- First, folks learned about green fashion with local stylists Maygen Kardash, Sarah Gaudry, and K-Lyn Bonogofski. Each speaker discussed their individual take on incorporating eco-friendly values into their daily fashion routine.
- Then, duo Ezra & Jon played unplugged live music while people browsed the swap collection pool.
- At the end of the night, we had a draw for the door prize: two tickets to Top of the Hops – Grapes & Grains 2018 and two Do Sask Party Starters.
Do Sask has plenty of events coming up including speed dating, brewery tours and a special learn-to-taste craft beer series.
Âniskopicikêwin: Things Are Linked Together.
The theme of this year’s NatureCity Festival, Âniskopicikêwin, is especially relevant to this swap party. I strongly believe that the choices we make about such things as fashion and food can have a lasting impact on the environment. When we consciously choose to take responsibility for our actions every day we contribute to a vibrant and healthy ecosystem.
Other NatureCity Festival events you may want to check out:
- Keynote evening with special guest Dr. Harvey Locke of Nature Needs Half, 7 p.m. this Friday, May 25, at Castle Theatre in Aden Bowman Collegiate.
- mindfulness outdoors: May 24th 7:00 pm at Gabriel Dumont Park
- Library of things in the basement of the better good- May 26th 1-5
Check out more this week for NatureCity Festival.
Thanks again to our very generous sponsor, PickNic’s Catering. I couldn’t make an event like this happen without support from the local business community, engaged volunteers, and venue partnership with the YWCA.
Musicians Ezra & Jon don’t have a link yet. When they get one, I promise to share!
Maygen from Sneakers & Lipstick posted all of her tips here: https://www.sneakersandlipstick.com/…/12-ways-to-reduce-clo…
Instagram video credit to Sarah from The Knick Vintage.