Learn how to become an alcohol ink artist!
Back by popular demand, this Thursday Night Art Market I’ll teach you how to make a custom alcohol ink ceramic tile coaster for $10. You’ll take home your coaster to show all of your friends what your artistic talents are made of!
*This is not a formal workshop and does not require advance registration. I’ll be taking “students” on a first-come, first served basis.
Alcohol Ink Ceramic Tile Coaster Mini-Maker
Ceramic tiles are non-porous so alcohol inks won’t permeate the surface.
Supplies you’ll use:
- 4×4 Ceramic White Tile
- Ranger Ink Alcohol Ink
- Isopropanol Alcohol
- Cotton Pad
- Drinking Straw
1. Stamp the ink onto the tile with cotton pad,
2. blow the ink before it dries with a straw,
3. drip the ink with a paint brush,
4. sprinkle alcohol on top of the ink to create a star-like galaxy,
5. Remove ink for clean finish with alcohol soaked brush or Q-Tip,
6. Use tape or decal to create precise symbols that you will stamp over.
To protect your finished alcohol ink ceramic tile coaster you’ll need:
- Modge Podge
- Paint Brush
- EnviroTex Lite Resin Kit
- Popsicle Stick
- Disposable Mixing Dish
- Cork or Felt (protects wood surfaces)
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue
If you want to use your alcohol ink ceramic tile coaster for everyday coffee and tea you will need to protect it by using the following method:
- Paint Modge Podge onto your tile and let it dry for about 60 minutes. (This protects the colour from the resin.)
- Mix resin and hardener together in a disposable dish for two minutes.
- Once the resin has thickened from stirring drip the mixture onto your tile and spread the mixture evenly across it.
- Shake your tile to get bubbles out. There may be some bubbling, but remember this project isn’t perfect!
- Put the tile in a safe, relatively dust free area to set for up to 72 hours.
- Cut cork or felt to fit 4×4 tile and hot glue to the bottom.
New doers can WIN stuff!
If you like Do Sask, encourage your friends and family to come down to the Thursday Night Art Market and sign up to become a Doer. When they opt-in to the newsletter they will have a chance to Win a To-Go Terrarium Kit package for 3 – a $90 value!*
Two draws will be made on July 27th and September 7th, 2017. Our first draw for the Terrarium Kit “Night In” happens this Thursday at 9:00 PM!
*To qualify, winners must be new Doers (you can always ask them nicely to share the prize).
Hope to see you at #ThursdayNightArtMarketYXE!
I’ll be set up at Market Square in front of the Saskatoon Farmer’s Market just off Avenue B and 19th street every Thursday from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM until September 7th. River Landing is only steps away.